lunes, 2 de abril de 2012

Flashes of a dim and distant crush

Once started, the task is to carry on! So, here I am with my second post. During the day, I've been thinking of what to write, trying to focus in on everything that comes to me, new music or issues, or maybe not new, but at least something that catches me in some way. And, as always when you are receptive, it comes. Listening to some new recordings of classical music, I bumped into a new rendition of a collection of pieces that I have had a special relationship for a few years now. These are the Cantigas de Santa María, written by the medieval king Alfonso X of Castile, called The Wise.



I admit: I have a crush on the medieval age. I've always loved reading about  history, visiting places, imagining moments in those supposedly grey times. Maybe it seems childish, all those stories of castles and kings, and maidens, and poets. Those courtiers worrying about their courtly loves meanwhile the peasants not even being able to change their clothes, which, I add, were actually quite different (and nowhere near as pleasant) as those we see in films.

But beyond that, there's something more appealing to me from those centuries. The way we are connected to them, to the people who lived and died then, to people who -after all- feared, longed, and (sorry for the cheesy moment), loved. And as well as this, they also created, and wanted not to be forgotten. And this is when music comes in.



Alfonso X of Castile lived between 1221 and 1284, over sixty years, which was a pretty fine age to reach in those days. In addition to all his conquests, battles, women, sons and daughters, he was known as "The Wise", because he had a royal scriptorium which was responsible for the creation of lots of written works, in which he participated actively. Many different issues were addressed: maths, astronomy, chess, law, history; working together with a group of latin, hebrew and islamic intellectual men, known as the Toledo School of Translators.

And yes, music formed a part of that huge collection, being the "Cantigas de Santa María". They were a group of lyrical songs, written in the Gallician language, with a religious approach that praised the goodness and highness of the Lord, and above all, the Virgin, who is sometimes treated as a beloved one, in the most earthly sense of the word.

Those were the pieces I first played when I performed medieval music for the first time (did I mention I play violin?), and they caught me. I still play them (the full collection includes 420 songs!) and their sound is truly magical to me.

Anyway, I don't want to make this post too long, so I'll finish with introducing the album I heard today. Cantigas de Nuestro Señor, by Eduardo Paniagua and his ensemble (the same as the group performing in the youtube clip above), includes some of the songs devoted to the figure of Christ. I just hope after all these lines, that you can hear a bit of it and feel a little closer to that time and those people. I can't help but do so. Enjoy!

No hay comentarios: