martes, 3 de abril de 2012

I'm (not) only happy when it rains

Today has been a rainy day in Barcelona. Quite unusual, because for the last few weeks you could almost anticipate summer, but April wants to drives us mad, it seems.

Being a Tuesday, I had to work. And I, as lots of people (I guess), enjoy rainy days more being at home than when locked up in an office. Anyway, I tried my best to make the most of the grey sky and the wet weather by listening to music, something that my job, fortunately, allows me to do.

So I chose an album to accompany the weather, and even though the post's title comes from a Garbage song, my choice today was Coles Corner, an album by Richard Hawley which I discovered some weeks ago. I came across it following a streamed interview on a newspaper's website with the singer and songwriter of a spanish band called Sidonie (maybe another day I can introduce them to you...). Marc Ros, the band's leader, was explaining his musical recommendations to the audience, and I thought it was a good idea to create a Spotify list. Amongst the list was this album.



After playing guitar on tour with Pulp, Richard Hawley started his solo career in 2001. His voice sounds deep and velvety, and it can't help but make me feel nostalgic. I confess that I haven't heard any other of his albums, just this one, which came out in 2005, and I like the feeling of it: the strings and arrangements, the slow tempos. Today, when I was working at my table, I enjoyed imagining I was elsewhere, drinking something, with a low light, and of course, the rain falling outside. The combination of melancholy and happiness can be a great feeling, all the better if there is music on in the background and raindrops against the window.

No hay comentarios: